Loud, cheesy 80’s hits blasting, endless coffee stops, the wide open road and the wind in your hair.
Ah, the classic road trip.
Jumping in a car or van with all the excitement and anticipation of arriving in your new destination, perfection. We have done our fair share of road trips and as fabulous as they are, they can certainly take a toll on your beautiful body.
Stiff neck, aching legs, numb butt and a sore back can all be avoided with a few stretches before, after or during your adventurous trip.
I found these simple stretches very useful for avoiding injury or discomfort during our long drives. Remember to always stay within your limits, listen to your body when it has had enough or needs more and be conscious of any pre-exisiting injuries.
- Feet hip width apart, knees slightly bent, interlace your fingers behind your back.
- Inhale to push your heart/chest open and draw the palms of you hands closer together.
- Exhale fold forward nice and slowly. Bend knees as much or as little as you need. Hold for 5 breaths and slowly roll back up.
- Alternatively, gently fold forward and take a hold of your elbows. Maybe enjoy a gentle sway from side to side.
- Sitting down with your legs out long. Bend your right knee in towards you, then let the knee drop out to the side as you guide your right foot into the left inner thigh.
- Inhale, lift your arms up to the sky and stretch up.
- Exhale, take your right hand behind you and rest the left hand on your right knee.
- Inhale, lengthen your spine and reach the crown of the head up.
- Exhale, sink deeper into the twist, looking over your right shoulder. Hold for 3 breaths and repeat on the other side.
- Knees hip width apart, hands directly under your shoulders.
- Inhale, look up and push your belly button towards the earth, tilt the tail bone up and press your heart forward.
- Exhale, bring the chin to the chest, press into your hands, suck the belly to the back bone and round your spine. Repeat 5 times, staying with the breath.
- Alternatively: Sitting Up Cat Cow – Kneeling, place your hands on the thighs, knees together.
- Inhale, lift gaze to the sky, roll shoulders down and back, lift your heart and expand your ribs.
- Exhale, tuck chin to the chest, suck belly in, round your back and push shoulder blades forward.
- Inhale, rise the arms above your head, feet hip width apart.
- Exhale, interlace the fingers, releasing the index finger and thumb.
- Inhale to reach up, press the feet firmly into the ground and stretch the body up even more.
- Exhale, lean to the right side, hips and legs stay strong, core engaged, continue to reach and lengthen through arms.
- Inhale come back to centre.
- Repeat on the other side, stretch each side 3-5 times.
- Alternatively, hold onto elbows above head.
- Inhale, reach your right arm into the sky and gently tilt your head towards the right bicep
- Exhale, bend the elbow and place right hand onto your left cheek
- Inhale, try lifting the chin slightly or pulling the chin towards the chest, see where you feel the stretch in the neck the most. Don’t pull on your head, just let the hand just rest on your cheek
- Exhale, work your left shoulder down and away from your head for added oomph. Hold for 5 breaths and repeat on other side.
So, fellow road trippers, look after that precious body of yours, crank the music, sun glasses on, drive safe and most importantly…have a blast.
Oceans of love,