Driving around in a campervan is a lot of fun but when your kitchen is limited to what will fit in the back of a small van cooking gets tough. I have been making some condiments to dress up our food while we are on the road and at the same time keep us nice and healthy.
The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are undisputed, it lowers blood sugar levels and cholesterol, but also mustard seeds are rich in important minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorous. Throw them together and what have you got…Apple Cider Mustard!!
There is a touch of thyme and honey here to sweeten and round off the flavour. This condiment goes so well with pork or chicken or, for all you vegetarians; try it with baked potatoes, roast parsnips or sautéed mushrooms.
- ½ cup yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ cup black mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 180ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- combine all of the mustard seeds and the vinegar, leave to soak overnight.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stalks and add the leaves into the mustard, if you are using honey, add it now.
- Pulse the mixture in a food processor, seal in a jar and leave to mature in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.
- Once opened, refrigerate.